Sunday, October 11, 2009

A List of 10

1. Laffy taffy jokes still make me laffy (Thanks Carol).

2. A wild monkey crossed like 5 feet in front of me the other day on my way to school. How awesome is that?

3. I found out that my host sister Sarah is actually 20 years old and NOT 21 like she previously told me. I found her out a little something like this…

Sarah: “The pastor put down that I was born in ‘99 instead of ‘89 on my form tonight.”

Dennis: “10 years old! HAHAH!” (Dennis doesn’t talk much so this was worth inserting)

Hanna: “But aren’t you 21?”

S: “Yes, that is why he was wrong! I was born in ‘89.”

H: “Hold up! What is your birth date?”

S: “April 23rd.”

H: “And you are 21? or 20?”

S: “I will be 22 in April.”

H: “OKAY then you were born in ‘88.”

S: “No, I was born in ‘89 and my sister was born in ‘88 but I don’t understand how you can have a baby two years right in a row.”

H: “Okay, well it only takes 9 months for a baby to be born so it is possible BUT if you were born in ‘89 you are only 20 AND you are a liar.”

S: “Okay, yes I am 20 but I want to be older! It is good to be older.”

H: “HA! I am older than you! My birth date is April 7th 1989!”

S: “AHHH! NO! I want to be older!”

H: “I want to stay young forever!”

Then we laughed. Laughing is good but I still cant believe she has lied to me for the past six weeks! Sometimes she thinks she is too cool.

4. I miss the sound of a toilet flushing. Ridiculous, I know. I never thought that it was a comforting sound  but I noticed it is a little weird leaving the toilet without hearing a flush. I think that the flushing noise just assures you that everything is gone and clean again. haha. I have grown used to not flushing a toilet now but I hope I remember to start flushing again when I get back home.

5. The path that Abigail and I take to school has turned into a dump for all hair/weave salons in Mukono, or so it seems. Nasty hair weaves litter the road and make me want to puke.

6. Coca Cola is bomb here. It is everywhere you look. I don't think I ever mentioned it but upon arriving to my house here with my host family the first thing they did was serve me a glass of coca cola. Funny thing is I don’t really drink pop all the often in the states. I think I had more pop here my first two weeks than I had all summer, MAYBE all year, in Ohio.

7. We get excited when we get Heinz Ketchup to eat with our chips (aka fries) here in Uganda. YUMMY.

8. Our television is broken. I am not sure what happened but it disappeared last week and Maama said it just stopped working. Then today I saw it chilling out in her room. I think she is probably just hoarding it to herself because I was getting too addicted to my soaps and reality tv. For reals though I didn’t even notice it was gone at first until we couldn't watch Project Fame (American Idol African style). Tonight is the finale. I am missing it. I am sad.

9. I had my first hitch-hiking experience here in Uganda. I have never done it in the U.S. because it is dangerous. WHY ON EARTH I thought that it would be safe to do it here I have NO IDEA. In my defense, I wasn't really planning on hitch-hiking it just happened. Was I breaking a rule? I am almost positive. Desperate times call for desperate measures. He was a nice man.

10. I just had my first night alone in over 6 weeks! I didn’t have to share my room with anyone because both my sisters were gone for the night! It was amazing! I had my own little slumber party!! It is weird because I am actually used to sharing a room at Bluffton but I just feel like I get VERY little alone time to myself here. I was able to keep the light on in my room as late as I wanted and I didn't have to worry about bothering anyone. Ah. Twas so sweet.

That is all for now. The end.

13 comments:

  1. tell us more about the hitchhiking story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H-pain,
    Riley was not happy when she heard about you hitch-hiking(neither was mom).
    You also better remember to flush when you get home. Glad to hear you got to have some time to yourself. Have a good week.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hanna, We are here with the Biehls in Franklin,NC and not a good thing to hitch hike. ( yoi,yoi) Had a beautiful day in the Smokies Mts today. Stay safe. Love You, Grandma/Grandpa M

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE you. And you're right, weave balls are disgusting. Keep posting, I am loving them! Thinking of you, Blake

    ReplyDelete
  5. HANNA YOU ARE GROUNDED!! Taxi rule goes for hitch-hiking too! The monkey sounds fun, the hair gross. Sorry you had to miss 'African Idol' but i am saving "Mermaid Girl; a New Chapter" for you. LOL
    Miss you, Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanna... i loved your last post about the chickens it made me laugh, i had to read it to morgan when she came over. and i love the fact that you hitch hiked, despite what your relatives say that is hilarious and i can only imagine you doing that. I am glad you are ok though. you should have brought the monkey home with you, i want a pet monkey. Talk to you on facebook. love you!
    -Nelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. hpain. where on earth did you hitch-hike to? I must say that I am proud that you were able to be that adventurous because there is no way I would've been able to manage that one. yikes. congrats on leaving the light on in your room so late :) miss you mucho
    love love love
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Han,

    Don't let everyone hate on you for hitch-hiking! They don't know what it's like. I'm sure Uganda is a little behind the times....similar to Lubbock, Texas. I hitch-hike here all the time-even when I have my car available. Live a little :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hanna, I have been reading your blogs here at work. We print them out and leave them on the counter at customer service, but I figured I should leave a comment because that is what you wanted. However, I don't really have anything to say except that if you go hitch-hiking just make sure the person isn't creeeeeeepppppy.
    Love you, Miss you
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  10. we learned in church on Sunday that wild monkeys will attack you and try to kill you. don't play with the wild animals.
    way to bust your host sisters bubble. nice
    is coke better than in the states? I had my last one in Haiti - best one ever. someone said that they use sugar cane or crack or something. that is why is tastes better.
    Butch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hana, did you hitch-hike by yourself or was
    someone else with you? I HOPE someone else was
    with you. Please be careful and be safe, but
    have fun!
    LOVE, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. i will need to hear this hitch-hiking story as well! you wild woman youuuu. i can relate with missing the sound of a flushing toilet..it's a glorious thing :) remembering that i can flush my toilet paper was the hard thing to remember for me when i got back.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so i know this is really really late...but it just occurred to me that remembering to flush will not be an issue when you get back. neuf has automatic flushers!! so no worries there:) but i'm at home for thanksgiving currently and i am thoroughly enjoying flushing my own toilet;) love you!!!!
    --Mal

    ReplyDelete