Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rafting, Cookies, and Chickens.

RAFTING THE NILE.

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I went rafting in the NILE RIVER! Seriously, how cool is that when you really think about it? Are you jealous? You should be. It was soooo much fun. It was terrifying. It was exhilarating. It was intense. It was insane. It was amazing. Overall, a great time was had by most.

My guide was a Ugandan man named Olo. He was interesting. We told him that we wanted to start out with a “medium” ride. We didn’t want to go too crazy for our first few rapids because we didn’t really know what to expect. It was funny though because since some of us wanted it to be a “medium” level adventure some people decided to switch rafts for the more “extreme” rafting experience. They later regretted their decision because somehow our raft turned out to have one of the more extreme experiences. We rafted something like 36 Kilometers from like 10:30am – 5pm. I fell/flew out of the raft I think a total of three times, our raft completely flipped twice, I lost my oar like every time and it was a blast. I must admit there were times when I was totally terrified. Just about every time we would approach a rapid I would get a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. For some reason my friend Nicole and I (who were sitting in the back of the raft by Olo) would tell our guide to make it a little more intense at each rapid without the rest of the people knowing. Some of the people on the raft were not happy with the level of intensity that was happening and so we were leaving them out of the loop a little. Even though I was telling Olo to make it more intense there was a little part of me screaming on the inside.

Anyways, I feel like I can’t really do the whole experience justice. It was amazing and sooo much fun. Some of my friends that were in the same raft as me have already posted blogs about the experience through their own eyes. You should check them out. After reading their stories I don't feel like my writing can compare. Here are some links to their blogs:

Dean Alari:

http://deansmanyadventures.blogspot.com/2009/10/rafting-nile.html

I especially love the detail that Dean uses, he is a great writer. He gets jealous sometimes because I seem to have so many more people reading my blog than he does. I decided I should share the love. (FYI: He mentions a girl named Holly in his blog a lot, she is his girlfriend.)

Jill Schlabach:

http://jill-uganda.blogspot.com/2009/10/rafting-nile.html

Jill is my friend from Bluffton that I have mentioned multiple times in previous posts. I saved her (kind of) two times while rafting. Really I just would find her and reassure her that she was okay after we flipped our raft. She is cool. She was also a creeper and took this picture of me looking out over the Nile Sat. eve. I think this is when I was trying to call Sara- she was too busy making a sandwich or something to answer. BOOOO. This was the second time I got to wear jeans in Africa and I was loving it!!!! Too bad you can’t see the view I was looking at. AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!

10-5-09 008

 

CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES.

Tuesday evening I made cookies with my host family. I was really nervous because I can’t ever remember making cookies or baking anything for that matter, on my own. Sad but true. I usually just assist my mom (I don't know how much she would agree with that though) or I use my dear old friend Betty Crocker, and her cake mixes. Mom was kind enough to send me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. My friend Abigail and I went to the store Tuesday morning and I bought all my ingredients (besides eggs of course but more on that later). I got home from school and my sister Sarah and I dove right in to our baking fun. We didn't have any measuring cups and so I had to do a lot of guesstimation. To be honest, I didn't really know what I was doing and I felt very self-conscious with Sarah, Maama, and Ida all watching me find my way around the kitchen. LUCKILY, we have an oven. Some of my friends have tried making cookies over the stove and they haven't turned out so well. Once I had the cookie batter all mixed up I of course had to do a little taste test. Sarah couldn’t believe that I was eating the dough! I had to convince her that it was delicious and that all kids in the US LOVE LOVE LOVE licking the spoons and bowls clean after their moms make cookies. The taste test gave me some confidence and we began to glob the batter onto the cookie sheet. We stuck them into the oven, and kept close watch. The first batch turned out okay. A little burnt on the bottom but still good. The second batch turned out perfect-o. I could have probably used a little more sugar but for the sake of the Ugandan’s I had cut it down a bit. Everyone loved them, they were a huge hit, and everyone wanted their picture taken with me and the cookies. Oh they are funny. To end the day my family had me lead the evening devotions. I even read the scripture in Luganda! What a great day!

 10-6-09 005

mixing up the batter

10-6-09 014

round one burnt on bottom

10-6-09 016

baking round two – put them a little too close together but still turned out good

10-6-09 020

Me, Sarah and the cookies. haha (she would be really mad if she knew that I posted this picture- don't tell her).

10-6-09 012

Maama and Me (cookies are in our bellies)

LATE NIGHT CHICKEN DANCE.

9-18-09 026

So, last week my Maama told me that the chickens were sick. They were producing about 50% of the eggs that they normally do and so Francis somehow found out they have some disease. I am thinking, what the heck and I going to get some crazy chicken disease? I have been eating these eggs just about everyday, I have been gathering eggs, I have touched the chickens, the only good thing I could think of was the fact that I have already had chicken pox, and that probably has nothing to do with why the chickens aren’t laying eggs. So that evening Maama got out the lanterns while Francis went for some special vaccine for the chickens. He comes back with who knows what and a syringe. Then we all gather around the chicken coop and an assembly line is formed. I watch. Maama holds the lantern. Sarah holds the divider (vaccinated chickens on left, questionable chickens on right). Ida grabs the chickens by the neck, one by one, and hands them off to Francis. Francis fills the syringe with the chicken medication out of the bowl that Dennis is holding. Francis then squirts the medication into the eye of the chicken. The chicken goes INSANE. He then chucks it onto the left side of the divider. One chicken down, hundreds more to go. I was just standing there watching this all go down. It was intense. There was a moment when I was watching and I had to reflect on what exactly WAS going down. I am in Africa. Watching a man squirt something into a chickens eye. This is weird. This seems sketchy. Maama turned and looked at me and started laughing. I must have been making a funny face. I smiled at her as I scratched a mosquito bite. Then she told me I had to go inside. Too many mosquitoes for the Muzungu. I didn't fight her. The eggs are a big source of income for my family and so the chicken incident  has been kind of a big deal. They seem to be on the up and up now but I haven’t had an egg for over a week (which is okay) besides the ones I used for our cookies. I wish I had pictures so you could all get a little taste of last weeks chicken dance of sorts but I didn’t think to whip out the camera at the time.

15 comments:

  1. Hanna, you make me laugh! Good posts! I especially like the chicken dance. - Aunt Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious, all of it! I can totes magotes picture you doing and saying all of it! Sorry about the sandwich again, my bad. Now I need some clarification, are you wearing earrings in your baking pictures and do those cookies only have one large chocolate chunk in them? Miss you! Sista Sista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanna,
    I am glad that you are having fun and enjoying yourself. Things around here get a little boring without anyone at home but I make it. I can't wait for you to come back so you can rub my belly and I can dig in your blanket. Love you.
    Arf, Riley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hanna, you just aren't right! so, are you the girl that the other 2 blogs mention, that kept flying out of the boat?
    It's like your blogs have full audio. once again I have a smile on my face.
    Cousin Butch

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dearest Hanna,
    Ahhh hahaha, I was really hoping that you would have an update today :) I got a much needed chuckle from your stories.
    I miss you so much.
    love from the Hart.
    -Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanna,

    Yes, MISS BETTY CROCKER, you should have helped
    me bake last summer for Mike and Sara's wedding.
    I'm sure your cookies would have been a hit!

    Love and Miss You,
    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. hanna,
    I know the riley post was obviously a fraud but then i imagined riley actually sitting at the computer posting a comment. Then i had a rush of images in my head of Riley in uganda washing her self in 3in of water, we know she loves baths, squeeging floors baking cookies and rafting down the nile. I couldn't help myself... i started to laugh to myself also. Oh just got another riley coloring with Martin what a treat then i thought wow riley would also be a mzungu.

    bro
    Scott
    ps. sara should also enjoy this comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hanna,
    So glad you had a good time rafting. There is no way I would EVER do that. Water and rapids just don't sound exhilerating to me. Glad you loved it though! I was cracking up out loud about the chicken vaccination part of your blog....especially the chicken pox part, too funny. Just a side note ...Duncan Hines turns out much better than Betty Crocker, just in case you cared, lol! Anyways, glad you are having some awesome experiences. Take care, Laurie Dutton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Han,
    I miss you! I cracked up reading your chicken dance post :) Hope everythings going good
    Peace & Love,
    Brit (Babe)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, those are some cookies!!! don't forget you made whoopie pies by yourself before...thats right,those were a little disfigured too!!lol keep trying! i always laugh out loud ready your blog, thanks for making my day!
    love ya, Charlene
    p.s. kip says hi. Obviously he's not computor savy like reily

    ReplyDelete
  11. i would have been like you with the rafting- terrified and excited all at the same time! i love that weird feeling!= i think... lol

    chicken disease? i love how you thought 'chicken pox' ha. i hope the chickens 'heal' soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading about all of your Ugandan adventures! It sounds like you are having an amazing time, and I am so happy for you. I miss you. Maybe when you get back we can talk about chickens, since I have all my years of 4-H chicken projects haha. Oh, and I am so totally jealous of your white water rafting experience. I mean, the Riley is fun and all, but The NILE! now that's awesome. I hope you have a great weekend, Hanna. Love you!
    ~Joni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hanna,

    I give you mad props for keeping your cool around crazy chickens. I quite enjoy your little blog here. indeed. God bless and keep on keepin on!

    ttam natur

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hanna, I just read one of Jill's posts and
    saw the cookies that she baked. You could really
    teach her something.
    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hanna Jean.
    Oh my word! You are so adventurous. I can't believe that you were telling your guide to make it more intense...crazy girl! and you have never made chocolate chip cookies by yourself? I had to read this statement a few times because I thought that I was reading it wrong. haha Oh man. I'm glad that they turned out then! I miss you Hanna.

    ps Riley WOULD leave a comment. and then Scott's comment....ridiculous :)

    ReplyDelete